Sunday, August 5, 2018

Sport, Strength and why training with us can help!


Hi Everyone – and welcome to another week,

Another wet and wild week in the books.  As I have said to a few people, it is hard to believe it could rain at all on Friday and Saturday…because Thursday night at footy training all of the rain fell out of the sky directly onto me – and of course, all my wet weather gear was sitting safe and dry in the back seat of my car, just where I needed it to be!  Oh well, at least there is a roof in the gym and we are all hot and sweaty (and warm) as soon as the warm-up is done with.

Since it is the start of August I do like to do a bit of a review of the month that has passed – and I am very happy to say that July 2018 has been our busiest July (in terms of attendance) ever.  We had 182 people per day in the gym throughout July – up from 157 per day last year (our previous best).  It has certainly been noticeable around the place with session numbers consistently strong…just as well we have (finally) reached agreement to take over the adjacent unit so we will be able to ‘open things up’ a little as warmer weather approaches.

We have a new block of SPARTAN training starting tomorrow (as I type this, there are still a couple of spots left – SPARTAN REGISTRATION) and that has had me thinking quite a bit about the different offerings we have put together as a gym.  If I set aside for a moment the ‘incidental’ challenges we run, we have a few formal and repeatable offerings:
-       Athlete Development Program (Sport Specific strength for 13-17yo’s)
-       Strength Fundamentals (How to lift/strength train)
-       Summer Slam (Diet/exercise pre-summer ‘blast’)
-       28-days Later (Diet/exercise post Christmas ‘blast’)
-       SPARTAN (4-week, high intensity conditioning)
-       Tanks (Ongoing sport specific strength and conditioning).

All of these things have been ‘purpose built’ to help those with specific goals – either strength, weight loss or sports conditioning – as well as to provide a mechanism for people who find themselves ‘stuck in a rutt’ with there training and wanting to ‘mix things up’.  I guess for me personally I have people asking me how I maintain motivation doing my own training at Round 1 after 8 ½ years of being open…the answer is I find it pretty easy.  I do 3-4 boxing classes, 1-2 Body Work classes, a No-Rules session…then I head out for a run once every week or so and try my hardest to do a strength session (preferably two) each week…and I don’t really get too fussed about what day I do what session – I train at the gym when it is convenient to me given work and personal commitments…if it is Boxing, Body Work, No Rules, whatever – I don’t care – I just train.

So – where am I going with this is a great question.  At footy training the other night we spent a bit of time with the players (the players are in that 16-18 age group) going through a new weights routine for them to complete and we have been having countless conversations in the background about the ‘lack’ of participation shown by our playing group to their strength training.  Now, you might think with me coaching there would be an absolute insistence on the players doing their gym work – but to be truthful I probably go the other way…because I spend all week in a gym, the last thing I want to talk about in my other life is strength training.  But it is sooooo important.  And before I go through the “WHY’s” of that, here’s what has got me on this tangent.

So the players I have lead busy lives (as do we all).  School or work, footy 3x per week (plus game day), homework, part-time work, families, girlfriends, friends, fortnite…you name it.  It makes sense that finding the time two-three times per week to get into the gym for 45-minutes or so is going to be hard to fit in.  I know I see it with my own 16yo – he gets his strength stuff done pretty religiously in the off-season but once the season starts, it all gets a little hard.  I also see it with a heap of the ‘social’ footballers, netballers, hockey players etc out there who come to Round 1…over summer, super dedicated.  Over winter, well, not so much.

For the ‘social’ sportsman (and yep, I 100% consider A-grade amateurs to be ‘social’-level sport), using the boxing sessions even twice each week to boost your base-level conditioning is going to make a MASSIVE difference on match day.  The reason is simple…the other team AREN’T DOING IT!  And as you draw close to finals, if you want to give yourself and your team an edge, you have to find little ways to sneak an advantage.  2x 45 minute boxing sessions each week – particularly with the cardio/core/strength mix you will get at R1 – is a great way to get that advantage.  Ultimately, it all comes down to time (I know it does) but one thing I can guarantee you, the time spent will all seem worth it if you are able to sneak across the line come finals.

For those with higher aspirations – and I include juniors in this group – there are really two tracks to follow.  The first is to boost your conditioning using the boxing / body work classes because the simple fact is that completely 2x 90 minute ‘training’ sessions each week – where the coach talks for at least 20 minutes of that and warm-up, cool-down and static skills all form part of the 90-minutes – is no-where close to being enough.  No-where near enough.  If you want to improve, then that improvement comes from being able to execute under pressure – and players are better able to do that when the pressure isn’t also combined with FATIGUE.  The second track – and this is for the players in that 16-18 age range who are already participating in high level programs – is to make sure they are completing a focussed/dedicated strength program…which gets me back to my ‘benefits of strength’ I promised earlier.

1/.  Resilience – Stronger muscles and stronger connective tissue make you harder to injure…and nothing is more important to your sport than actually being ON THE FIELD.

2/.  Mobility – Full range strength training increases your ability to move your body through all planes of motion AND to do so under pressure.

3/.  Efficiency of Movement – Muscle is the driving force behind our ability to MOVE.  Power, speed and quickness can be heightened exponentially with an increase in lean weight, even without a dramatic loss in body fat. More importantly, and in light of the obesity crisis this nation is mired in with the youth population, strength training can be a viable and result-producing component when it is included as a corrective measure.

4/.  Increased Metabolic rate – Muscle is ACTIVE tissue, even when at rest.  So adding muscle will drive increases in your metabolic rate which will help you maintain your body weight goals even when at rest.

5/. POWER - Power is the product of muscle force and movement speed. The combination of strength training and specific skill work has a positive influence on both of these parameters.  Bigger, stronger muscle fibers result in a higher rate of force production which (of course) enables you to demonstrate that force in the course of playing your sport!

So - if you fall into any of those categories, please get in touch.  We CAN help. Plus, I have been coaching high level footy at u18 level for more than 10 years (including coaching the state team for 3 years and coaching at the AIS) so I actually CAN help...if you or your kids have aspirations, well, I'm not saying they can achieve them but there are 100% ways that you can be set up for success....

Let me know if any of this sounds good (or not) with an email to Michael@round1fitness.com.au 
See you in the gym,
Michael.

No comments:

Post a Comment